12 Appetizers You Can Make on a Charcoal Grill for The Big Game
The Big Game is coming up fast (that’s right, even though we all know which game we’re talking about, we can’t technically say the actual name for legal reasons)! You have your team-supporting outfit ready (or maybe you’re just there for the commercials with your “I Just Hope Both Teams Have Fun” shirt on) and your big screen - now it’s time for menu planning.
You’re no opening-a-bag-of-chips-and-throwing-them-in-a-bowl kind of host, though. No way. When it comes to game day appetizers, you’re here to impress like Prince playing Purple Rain in the freaking rain in 2007.
If you want to wow your guests more than those $500,000 commercials that last 30 seconds, check out these game day appetizers you can make on a charcoal grill.
1. Charcoal Grilled Sweet Sriracha Wings - Hot and sweet, these Sweet Sriracha Wings are a big step up from your typical football-game wings and worlds apart from the “same old, same old.” The key to these wings: a Sriracha kick, and just the right amount of Kick Ash grilling.
2. Grilled Oysters with Chorizo Butter - The best things in life, all in one bite. No shucking required. All your friends will think you’ve kidnapped Gordon Ramsey and forced him to cook your game day appetizers!
3. Charcoal Grilled Halloumi Cheese - No, we’re not talking about a grilled cheese sandwich here. This is literally grilled cheese. Halloumi cheese is strong enough to hold its shape on the grill, so you’re left with a creamy, cheesy, smoky appetizer that vegetarians and carnivores will fight over.
4. Grilled Asparagus - Around here, we like our veggies portable. Whether you want to sword fight your friends or use it as a pointer for your PowerPoint presentation about why the other team sucks, grilled asparagus is an easy and delicious way to get your greens without compromising flavor.
5. Grilled Nectarine and Cheese Crostini - Hey, we already warned you that these grilled appetizer recipes were going to be fancy. Luckily, these Grilled Nectarine and Cheese Crostini look like something out of a 5-star restaurant, but they are surprisingly easy to make.
6. Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce - These perfectly charred chicken skewers will please adults and kids alike. Consider them grown-up chicken tenders with an exotic twist (and a handle).
7. Tequila Lime Shrimp - Drunk shrimp just taste better. Give your taste buds a trip to Mexico with this easy shrimp appetizer. Done in 5 minutes, these are for your friends that are hungry right now.
8. Smoky Four-Pepper Salsa - When I dip, you dip, we dip! Grilling the tomatoes and peppers for this salsa adds a smoky, authentic flavor. This salsa goes great on tortilla chips, tacos, pita chips, or even just by itself.
9. Grilled Garlic Bread - You think this dish is Italian, don’t you? Wrong! In Italy, they call this “English garlic bread” because that’s where it came from. You can thank the Brits for this people-pleasing, carb-filled comfort food.
10. Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elote) - Want to wow your party guests with so much flavor they’ll think they’re walking through the streets of Oaxaca? Mexican street corn - also called Elote - combines fresh corn on the cob with Mexican spices, cotija cheese, Mexican crema, and more to create an explosion of flavor (and we mean explosion literally - so watch your shirt).
11. Cola-Brined Chicken Wings - Two of your favorite things come together in this grill-tasting game-day pleaser. With your favorite cola (we prefer Coca-Cola but Pepsi or even Dr. Pepper work well, too) as your marinade, you can put a caffeinated punch of sweetness into your wings so you’ll all have plenty of energy for cheering on your team.
12. Grilled Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches - Hey, if you’re eating dessert as an appetizer, you’re truly living your best life. If you’ve never tried a grilled donut before, prepare to be instantly hooked. Add in some ice cream and your favorite fresh fruit, and you’ll have the kids and adults at your game day party screaming for more.
The Key to Great Charcoal Grilling on Game Day Sunday
No matter what you’re grilling on the big day, the key to getting it right is having a grill temperature you can depend on. Lucky for you, we designed the Kick Ash Basket to do just that. By allowing airflow through your charcoal, our charcoal baskets help you maintain even temperatures that you can depend on - so you’re not fighting with burned burgers on one side of the grill and raw chicken on the other. We make Kick Ash Baskets for nearly every type of grill. Don't have yours yet? Check out our selection here!