Calling all EGGheads! EGGtoberfest 2020 is still on. This EGG-citing event has been the biggest, greenest Big Green Egg EGG-stravaganza for the past twenty-two years, and this year is no different. Well, things did get a little scrambled by COVID-19; instead of celebrating together, this year’s festival is going to take place in backyards across the country. You might be wondering: what about the brotherhood of the Big Green Egg? Eggheads everywhere can share their festivities, learn new recipes, and connect with other eggies through the power of the live streaming.
When Is EGGtoberfest This Year?
Don’t worry, you still have time to prepare your menu and warm up your Egg. EGGtoberfest 2020 begins on Friday, October 9th, and sizzles all the way through to Sunday, October 11th. While COVID-19 has put the kibosh on the Big Green get-together, you can still tune in via YouTube, Facebook, or Instagram beginning on Friday.
How Can You Participate in EGGtoberfest 2020?
Although COVID-19 has disrupted the usual in-person festivities, that doesn’t mean you cannot embrace your inner EGGhead. While this amazing event is usually hosted at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds, this year the EGGhead community will come together online.
From October 9th through the 11th, you can live-stream EGGtoberfest on your phone, computer, or television using YouTube, Facebook, or Instagram. Be sure to heat up your Big Green Egg and cook up some tasty bites (check out our favorite EGGtoberfest recipes below for inspiration). Then, snap pictures of your sizzling, savory, and amazing Big Green Egg creations and post them to Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram using #EGGtoberfest2020.
What EGG-zactly is EGGtoberfest?
The Big Green Egg is more than just a kamado grill— it’s a lifestyle. It’s no wonder this unique cooker captured the hearts, imaginations, and taste buds of so many grilling enthusiasts. That is precisely what EGGtoberfest is all about! With a faithful cult-following, Eggheads across the country gather to celebrate and prepare delicious food using the latest cooking techniques.
EGGtoberfest is an annual celebration over the course of a weekend in October. It honors all-things Big Green Egg with over 200 Big Green Eggs simultaneously cooking for 3,000 die-hard— and hungry!— Eggies.
What’s the History Behind EGGtoberfest?
EGGtoberfest has been celebrated for over two decades, beginning in 1998 (twenty-eight years after Ed Fisher first began selling these magical outdoor cookers). Like all the best festivals, this event has a grassroots beginning. As Eggies across the country hopped online to research and share Big Green Egg recipes, they wound up on the Big Green Egg’s forum. Soon they began to connect over their love of this unique kamado and the delicious, perfectly-cooked food it produces.
The Big Green Egg Company took notice, and as a way to repay their loyal fanbase, they planned a meat-and-greet for Eggheads. The first EGGtoberfest was held in Atlanta for just an evening. Fifteen cooks prepared their favorite recipes while one-hundred Eggheads attended to try the phenomenal flavors.
EGGies mingled like ingredients in a well-balanced recipe; the camaraderie and inspiring recipes prompted The Big Green Egg Company to make this cook-out an annual event.
This annual event has EGG-sploded in size, but the heart of the event remains true to its original intentions: Big Green Egg aficionados arrive and cook their hearts out. The fest now draws big names, and hosts professional and elite chefs from all over the U.S.
What Can You EGGpect from EGGtoberfest 2020?
When you tune in to EGGtoberfest 2020, you will learn all the best new EGGtoberfest recipes from top chefs, along with tips and tricks for using your Big Green Egg to its fullest potential.
This year, the founder of The Big Green Egg Company, Ed Fisher, will host a live introduction of The Wonderful World of EGGtoberfest. Viewers will also learn about memories EGGheads hold near-and-dear from past EGGtoberfests.
The EGGtoberfest 2020 Headliners
When you tune into the Big Green Egg EGGtoberfest this year, you’ll get a front-row seat to some of the biggest names in the Big Green Egg game. This year’s chef-presenters come from eclectic backgrounds, expertise, and experience. Who are we EGGcited to watch?Friday, October 9th, 2020
- Chef David Rose— he will be brewing special-edition EGGtoberfest beer!
- Maciek Zuraski will offer with family-friendly Friday-night fare
- Chris Sussman AKA “The BBQ Buddha,” will demo how to make the perfect Big Green Egg pizza
- Chef Suzanne Vizethann— What’s the Queen of Brunch going to whip up on her Big Green Egg? Biscuits, of course!
- Chef Deborah VanTrece and her soulful twist on Southern dishes
- Chef Nick Leahy will bring Southern French tradition to his Big Green Egg
- The Big Green Egg Company Founder, Ed Fisher
- Rusty Bowers, Eric Johnson, and Terry Koval will pop open some of the first bottles of an EGGtoberfest 2020-inspired beer.
- Chef Leonard Elenbaas will lead three hours of unbeatable BBQ workshops
- The Big Green Egg Company Founder, Ed Fisher, will close the fest
- Smoked Panchetta Bourbon Apple Crisp (p.88)
- 2016’s Winner: Jailhouse “Rocks”
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Grilled Pork (p.107)
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates (p.9)
- Cuban Sandwiches (p.30)
- Pork Tenderloin Street Tacos (p.53)
- Thai Curry Sausage (p.102)
- Southern Wontons (p. 92)
- Monkey Bread (p.63)
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake (p.28)
- Grilled Thin Crust Pizza (p.45)
- Bourbon Pecan Caramel Apple Cobbler (p.23)
- Lard Butt Carnitas (p.57)
- Fletcher’s Beef Brisket (p.37)
- Peach Enchiladas
- Spanish Bean Soup (p.106)
- Spicy Asian Chicken Wings (p.108)
- Mini Corn Dogs (p.59)
- Ginger Honey Banana Bread (p.41)
- Santa Maria Tri-Tip (p.67)
Embrace the Power of the Big Green Egg
Don’t miss out on an unforgettable EGGsperience— join in on the fun of EGGtoberfest 2020! There’s no better time to enjoy the wonderful weather and fire up your Big Green Egg right in the comfort of your backyard. Social distancing doesn’t mean you cannot socialize with the EGGhead community. You will be amazed at what you will learn to create this year— and all with a grill that looks more like a dinosaur egg!